Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Path Changes

As I embark on the hardest part of my project, the rating of individual styles of martial arts I have come to the stage where I have found that my original proposal must be revised. Scoring each style is not practical, because every style brings something different, a different view and way of thinking through self-defense. Instead of scoring each style I will now be defining each style, describing its ideas and usages for self-defense. Going over what I learned from the style rather than whether or not it is better than another style. Understanding this I have changed from my original proposal to rate each martial arts style, instead I will be comparing them and assessing their comparative strengths and weaknesses. I will speak about how the style works, striking, sweeping, locks, maneuvers, philosophy etc. What I want to convey is that while every style of martial arts differs they all bring something to the table that is very similar, an increased ability to defend yourself, or the people who are important to you. I will also talk about what I learned from each style and how it has changed me personally and my outlook on self-defense. At the end of this project I will be making a power point presentation to my school, but, for everyone who follows my blog but does not attend my school, I will upload a secondary project end version of that power point
Thank You,
Mr. Waaler

No comments:

Post a Comment