Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Koncrete Gym

This Wednesday I took my first boxing class under the Olympic gold medalist and former IBF cruiser weight champion Vassiliy Jirov. Western Boxing is often not thought of as a martial art, more as a sport, but, it is still a martial art. This first class was just some basic moves and exercises, I was exhausted. We started out with jump rope, then we quartered the rope and had me jump forwards and backwards over it. We flipped some heavy bags and finished with some basic exercises.
Then we began the fun stuff, but by this time I was very tired.

Vassiliy demonstrated hitting the bags, and in the process broke one - " Too Strong" he said with a shrug.
We continued working on the bags, we finished up with the speed bag, which requires rhythm and coordination as well as strength. As hard as i tried I just couldn't get the speed bag as well as I had hoped.
 
At the end of the first class I had learned some important things about boxing, not just how much pain the drills can inflict, but also about wrist positions and how to hit. Also, Mr. Jirov explained that boxer's get to the point, a quick knock out in a fight so you don't have to be tired. This experience was amazing, and I thank the Koncrete gym and Mr. Jirov for giving me an opportunity. I will keep you updated for the next time i go.
Thanks
Mr. Waaler

1 comment:

  1. I saw your video half an hour and teach good tips and about self defence.

    ReplyDelete