Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sunday Kumite at the Park

For most people, sunday is a day of rest. But, this sunday i didn't rest, in fact i got to go and take another kyokushin class. This past Sunday I went to a small park called Northsight Park off of Thunderbird rd. to participate in another Kyokushin class. This class was very similar to the first class i took in kyokushin, with an emphasis on movements and their uses in a fight. We practiced some basic movements and defenses, building up to more complex kicks that could be used for a KO hit to win matches. At the end of the class we Fought a little. I had the honor of fighting the instructor, and i learned a lot from our fight. We talked about the defense aspects of Kyokushin Karate, this style of martial arts is a fighting style of martial arts. When we were talking about fighting, Sempi Erno said that one way that we could quickly end the fight was to strike at the opponents head and overwhelm him while we set up a kick to KO our opponent. He also mentioned that when in a real fight striking the same area, especially on the thigh, will end the fight quickly.
I want to say thank you to the instructor of the Dojo, Sempi Erno. Your expertise and respect have greatly helped my project, and I am very thankful that you let me come and learn from you. Osu!
Now Spring break has just begun, and it gives me time to take a break from everything and i hope that all of my readers enjoy it to its fullest!
Thanks, and Happy Spring Break,
Mr. Waaler
P.S. Please enjoy the new videos!

1 comment:

  1. I went with Mr. Waaler to try out Kumite and had a blast! A match of this type of fighting is for a set time, while the sparring that i'm used to is for points. I had a very good time getting to try Kumite and would highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete