Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Peaceful Warrior Martial Arts and Healing Center

This monday I was able to visit the Peaceful Warrior Martial Arts and Healing center. They teach Shorin Ryu, a style of Karate originating from Okinawa, that prides itself on power and follow through. It was awesome to go and visit their school. First was a sparring class where matches were 2 minutes long. I got to spar with Sensei Bowley and a couple of others.

After the sparring class I got to participate in the normal teen and adult class. In this class we began by going over some basic joint locks and throws. I was partners with Sensei Bowley, and as we practiced I learned more about Shorin Ryu. Check out these videos!



After we went over the basic throws and locks the class split to begin practicing their traditional katas. At that time I went over with Sensei Poage, one of the head instructors of Peaceful Warrior Martial Arts. We discused Shorin Ryu and used the makiwara board, a training instrument used to toughen bones and ligaments. He taught me about body rotation in shorin ryu.

The visit to peaceful warrior martial arts was wonderful and I would like to thank them so much for allowing me to come and visit.
To see the videos and pictures from Peaceful Warrior Martial Arts check out the new page!
Thanks
Mr. Waaler

1 comment: