Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Patience is a Virtue

The first step to learning about other styles is to go and learn them. No matter how many books you read you won't understand the style without actually going to a practitioner of the style and having them teach you. Knowing the feeling of a style is just as important as knowing the concepts, if not more important. How could anyone claim to rate a style if they had never done the martial art itself? But, we must realize that martial arts styles are not completely different. Many styles are more similar than they would care to admit, so learning a style’s basics will not take as long as if I was a complete beginner because I have had previous martial arts experience.
But, to secure martial arts studios that I could train at I have contacted a couple and have asked them if I could train there to better understand their styles. I won’t name the schools here (just I case they tell me no way) but, if I am allowed to train there I will list the school’s name and style.
If you are wondering why a martial arts studio wouldn’t let me train with them the answer is simple. I am not their student. Now it’s not about the fact that I don’t pay money to them or that I don’t think their style is worthy or any nonsense like that, it’s because I don’t have the loyalty and the commitment to their school and style. When a new student signs up to take classes at a school they are (or their parents are for them) essentially promising loyalty to that school and respect for that instructor. When I come in, the instructor would have to take me at my word that I respect their teachings, school and style, because not only have I never taken class or met the instructor before, but I have also taken class and learned from a different instructor who already holds loyalty from me.
This would be hard for any school to do. Any school that lets me train there is giving me the benefit of the doubt, a luxury that I do not take for granted. But, hopefully enough schools will give me the benefit of the doubt that I can make my project as best I can. So as I wait for responses i have to remind myself, patience is a virtue. 
Sincerely  
Mr. Waaler

No comments:

Post a Comment