Statement of Purpose

This project is an investigation of 5 Martial Arts styles. Self-defense is a major theme in martial arts today and to better understand how different martial arts schools and styles treat self-defense I am going to learn all I can (given time restraints) about each of the five styles. These schools will be chosen from a list of local martial arts studios, and the style will be the one that is taught at that studio. Many studios teach multiple styles, so in this case on of the styles taught there will be analyzed. At the end of the project all the schools I visited will be rated and scored to show in which areas they excel or by contrast, fall short.

Monday, February 13, 2012

As one Journey Ends, so another Begins


We have come to the close of my high school career. My last day has come and gone, and now I find myself with this project looming over me like a cloud. My official project has begun, and I will meet it head on. Luckily I find myself overwhelmed with sources for my project, ranging from martial art schools to manuals of martial arts. Looking at my project I can see that it may be interpreted to be an attempt at a rating of the styles themselves, saying definitively which is better or worse, which this project definitly is not trying to do. This project is assessing five martial arts schools of different styles abilities to teach effective self-defense and how each style varies in its reactions in self-defense. What will be shown at the end of the project is not what style is the best, but actually which style is most suited for what-multiple attacker self-defense, one-on-one, teaching, linear self-defense, circular, high damage output, safe escape etc. Each style will be slightly varied in each section, but, hopefully the final answer will come out to be that any style of martial arts is at least mildly successful at all types of self-defense situations. That is what the martial arts are about, defending yourself and making yourself better than you are today, physically, mentally and spiritually.
On a side note, I have found the chart for basing damage dealt and damage received, it will be based off of the chart found in Master Edmund Parker’s “Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Book 4, Mental and Physical constituents.” Although this book may be American Kenpo in nature, the anatomical damage charts are without stylistic influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment